Justice (Retd.) Muhammad Taqi Usmani is a renowned figure in the field of Shariah, particularly in Islamic Finance and economics.
He has served as a Judge in the Shariah Appellate Bench, Supreme Court of Pakistan from 1982 to 2002. He is also the Editor of the magazine 'Albalagh' (a weekly publication of Jamia Darul Uloom, Karachi) as well as an active contributor of articles in leading Pakistani newspapers.
Justice (Retd.) Muhammad Taqi Usmani, who was born in Pakistan, graduated from Punjab University, Pakistan in 1970. Additionally to that, he holds an LLB from Karachi University. Prior to these, he completed the 'Takhassus' course, which is a specialization course in Islamic 'Fiqh' and 'Fatwa' (Islamic Jurisprudence) from Jamia Darul Uloom Karachi.
In March 2004, His Highness Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum (Dubai Crown Prince
and UAE Minister of Defense) presented a special award to Justice (Retd.) Muhammad
Taqi Usmani in recognition of his lifetime service and achievement in Islamic Finance
at the occasion of the International Islamic Finance Forum, Dubai, which is one
of the biggest events in the Islamic Finance Industry.
Other positions currently held:
- Permanent Member of the International Islamic Fiqh Academy, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- Vice President, Darul Uloom Karachi, Pakistan
- Chairman, Shariah Council AAOIFI, Bahrain
- Member and Former Chairman, Islamic Fiqh Academy of Rabita-al-Alam-e-Islami, Makkah,
- Member, European Council of Fatwa and Research, Dublin, Ireland
- Chairman, Center for Islamic Economics Pakistan
- Chairman, Shari’ah Advisory Board, Pak-Qatar General Takaful Limited, Pakistan
- Chairman, Shariah Board, Meezan Bank Limited, Pakistan
- Chairman, Shariah Board Dow Jones Islamic Market Index, New York, USA
- Chairman, Shariah Board, Bahrain Monetary Agency, Bahrain
- Chairman, Shariah Board, Amana Investments Limited, Sri Lanka
- Chairman, Shariah Board Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank, UAE
- Chairman, Shariah Board Islamic House of Britain plc, UK
- Member, Shariah Board, First Islamic Investment Bank, Bahrain
- Member Shariah Board, Islamic Corporation for Development of the Private Sector,
(an organ of IDB), Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- Chairman, Shariah Board Islamic Financial Services Board.
- Chairman, Shariah Board International Islamic Rating Agency
- Member Shariah Board, Guidance Financial Group, USA